Know These Applications For Commercial Dehumidifier
Let’s talk about dehumidifiers. If you’ve heard about dehumidifiers then chances are you already own one or you might be thinking about getting one. Dehumidifiers can be beneficial for your home but they can also be beneficial for your office space.
What is a commercial dehumidifier
Commercial humidifiers have come a long way since its invention in 1955. It has become a solving mechanism for many industries with solving humidity problems.
A commercial or industrial dehumidifier is an appliance that reduces the humidity level to actually improve the indoor air quality. Dehumidifiers, or more specifically, commercial dehumidifiers, are so powerful that they can remove about 150 to 250 points of moisture from the air per day.
Ideal uses of commercial dehumidifiers
When you think of commercial humidifiers, think big. Commercial dehumidifiers are ideal for manufacturing facilities, warehouses, greenhouses, supermarkets, hospitals, gyms, and so much more. When we say think big, we mean large spaces.
They are also great for areas affected by flooding, water leakage, or natural disasters where humidity is affected.
Problems caused by humidity
When there is a high-level of humidity a range of problems can arise. Humidity can cause damage that can be expensive to solve, cause unnecessary downtime, and could potentially create unfixable damage.
- Corrosion is the conversion of refined metals into a more chemically stable metal. Metals that are used to make cars or machinery. This material reacts with the air and moisture, which will cause rusting. The more humid an area is, the more corrosion will happen.
- Mold and hygiene issues. What is the perfect climate for mold to grow in? Humid climates. That means a high humidity can provide the best breeding ground for mold and bacteria. If you’re in the food industry, mold and bacteria are your worst enemy. A sterile environment is necessary for the health and safety of consumers. Not to mention, in severe cases mold can cause serious health issues such as respiratory conditions.
- Damage to machinery. If you work in an industry where heavy machinery is used, then humidity is not your friend. In some industries, steam is an unavoidable by-product. If a lot of water is constantly deposited onto the surfaces, machinery, or pipework connected to it, it becomes more vulnerable to damage. We can already picture where that damage is going to lead to… and it’s not a road we want you to go down.
- Quality control. Many sectors like the pharmaceutical industry need to have a controlled humidity level. A controlled humidity level is important because measurements are required to be extremely precise. Including the quality control of the drugs that have to be executed to the highest degree. This quality control will protect public health. High humidity degrades the quality of drugs as the product may absorb the moisture.
How to choose the perfect commercial dehumidifier
So what are the things you should look for to find the right commercial dehumidifier for you?
- Size of your space (sq. ft.)
- Room temperature
- Relative Humidity (RH)
Keep in mind dehumidifiers remove the excess water that’s measured in pints per day. The sizing of your room can affect the performance or removal rate. Here is a guide to help you determine the size of your space.
- 150 Pint Commercial Dehumidifiers are ideal for spaces up to 8,500 sq. ft.
- Large basements, gyms, workshops, sheds
- 200 Pint Commercial Dehumidifiers are ideal for spaces up to 11,000 sq. ft.
- Small construction sites, large gyms, offices, greenhouses
- 250 Pint Commercial Dehumidifiers are ideal for spaces up to 15,500 sq. ft.
- Warehouses, hospitals, supermarkets
Applications across various industries
- Food industry
- Excess humidity will cause condensation and a broad range of hygiene issues in the product. Consistent and controlled moisture conditions are necessary. Using a commercial dehumidifier can control the moisture content. This can lead to perfect coating and longer shelf-life of products.
- Lithium batteries
- The essential environment for the making of lithium batteries is a dry room with very low humidity. Lithium is highly sensitive to moisture, so high moisture in the space will lead to a reduction in battery performance and life of the batteries.
- Pharmaceutical industry
- Dehumidifiers help pharmaceutical industries in keeping to the required humidity parameters for processing, drying, storing, and transporting the medicine.
- Cold stores
- To prevent flowers, fruits, vegetables, milk, and processed food from going bad they are cooled and cold stored in low moisture conditions. Dehumidified air helps control the access of moisture entering the cold rooms.
- Defense industries
- Military equipment are extremely prone to humidity damage when they are stored for long periods. Dehumidifiers help prevent corrosion on the equipment by keeping humidity levels.
- Turbine industry
- Moisture can corrode turbines, boilers, condensers and many other machines when they are kept for maintenance during the layup process. High humidity causes corrosion and rusting on the equipment leading to their malfunctioning. Industrial dehumidifiers help in keeping moisture levels low during the storage of the product; thus, preventing corrosion.
- Leather industry
- Excess moisture will cause the growth of mold and mildew on leather. Proper humidity control is necessary otherwise leather will lose its shine, produce foul smell, will lose its strength, and will start decomposing. Dehumidifiers help provide controlled moisture conditions during the processing of leather products.
- Museums and archives
- Paper, cotton, wood, natural fibre, and etc are organic materials that are used in materials in museums and archives. These organic materials absorb moisture at a high rate. The absorption of moisture can lead to fungi growth, which will result in the deterioration of the products. Dehumidifiers help with moisture control and keeping the materials in ideal condition.
Controlling humidity has become not just a want but a necessary item for all industries. The consequences of moisture affects the different parts of stages in the industries. Manufacturing, processing, packaging, storage, transporting, and testing every process of production requires moisture control.
Commercial dehumidifiers might sound like a big investment, but the benefits of having a moisture control machine outweigh the installation costs in the long run. Think of it this way. Would you rather spend more money on buying a machine that was damaged due to moisture? Buying machines is not cheap. Investing in a commercial humidifier will save you from that potential.
Give us a call
If you are a Texas-based business and thinking about investing in a commercial dehumidifier, contact us today for a consultation.